Expanded: Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge
Updated Date: May 8, 2011
Boy Scout Troop 9, Wilmette
Steven Bucksbaum, Merit Badge Counselor
What is needed to earn the Citizenship in the Community Merit Badge
Requirements Work Sheet: Citizenship-in-the-Community.pdf
Merit Badge Requirements:
1. Discuss what Citizenship in the Community means. Write Answers from Merit Badge Book
Create a Map of Wilmette (print provided images or buy a map
1) Add the location of the parks: BicycleMapWithParks.pdf
d. Create a chart of government for the Village of Wilmette. ChartWilmetteGov.pdf
e. Discuss all this with your counselor.
g. Another kind: Wilmette County and State Roads
3. Attend meeting in the Village where you live (Wilmette, Evanston, etc.) Scout shirt REQUIRED.
c. Obtain a copy of the Village Meeting Agenda to show your counselor.
d. Discuss the issues involved with your counselor.
f. Example of a power point presentation Powerpoint by DavidSeitz
4. Select an issue important to you.
a. What branch or department of government is responsible for your issue
b. Interview a responsible person.
c. Discuss what you learned with your counselor.
5. Movie – we will select one, watch it and discuss it.
6. List some of the services (such as the library,
recreation center, public transportation, and public safety)
your community provides that are funded by taxpayers.
a. Tell your counselor why these services are important to your community.
7. Choose a charitable organization
a. Research it.
b. Perform 8 hours of service. Be sure to have your Volunteer-Receipt signed and give it to your counselor.
d. List of services to the homeless in Evanston EvanstonShelterSoup.pdf
Another example can be seen by viewing the following: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9pUbYFFHx8
a. Make presentation in MS-PowerPoint (or another presentation software) and show it to your counselor.
b. Make a poster (like in science class), put photos and signs it. Explain the meaning. Click to see example
c. Make a short movie with voice and title presentation.